The Role of Cement Industry in India GDP is significant in the economic development of the country. The cement industry in India is one of the oldest sectors in India.
The industry is driven by the immense growth in the housing sector, the infrastructure development, and construction of transportation systems.
Role of Cement Industry in India GDP-Facts
- The Indian cement industry is one of the booming sectors of the Indian economy
- The infrastructure development of the country in the recent years is the demand driver for the cement industry
- The Indian Cement Industry is experiencing the entry of many foreign players in the Indian market
- The average monthly capacity utilization during the year 2006-07 was 94%
- The cement dispatches in the year 2006-07 was 155 million tonnes
- The growth of the cement sector pertaining to the total output was 10% in 2006-07
Role of Cement Industry in India GDP-Production
- India ranks second in the production of cement in the world
- The growth rate of the production of cement during the year 2006-07 was 9.1%
- The export of the cement in the year 2006-07 was 9.3 million tonnes
- The cement industry in India constitutes of 365 small cement manufacturing units and 130 large cement manufacturing units
- The total installed capability of the cement manufacturing is 165 million tonnes per year
- The large manufacturing units accounts for 94% of the total output of cement
Role of Cement Industry in India GDP-Mergers and Acquisitions
- Heidelberg Cement-Indorama Cement Ltd
- Heidelberg Cement Company entered into an agreement for a 50% joint venture with the Indorama Cement Ltd, situated in Mumbai, originally possessed by the Indorama S P Lohia Group.
- Heidelberg Cement Company has two manufacturing units in India
- Italcementi cement-Zuari Cement Limited
- Italcementi cement company has acquired share of the famous Indian cement manufacturer, the Zuari Cement Limited
- The acquisition was of 50% shareholding and the deal was of about 100 million
- It took over the plant of the Zuari Cement Limited in Andhra Pradesh
- Holcim Cement-Gujarat Ambuja Cements (GACL)
- Holcim Cement signed an agreement of 14.8% take over with the Gujarat Ambuja Cements (GACL).
- Holcim Cement Company is among the leading cement manufacturing and supplying companies in the world.
- Lafarge India
- Lafarge India is the subsidiary of the Lafarge Cement Company of France.
- It was established in 1999 with the acquisition of the Tisco and the Raymond cement plants
- Lafarge Cement presently has three cement manufacturing units in India one of them is in Jharkhand and two other in Chhattisgarh